- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees . Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. Place tomatoes on pan. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and kosher salt; toss to coat. Roast, uncovered, until softened, about 45 minutes. Let cool. Transfer tomatoes to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until a smooth puree.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until foaming. Add onion, celery and fennel. Cook until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cream, buttermilk and herbs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, water and wine. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, to develop flavor and reduce slightly. Let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree in a blender or food processer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Servings Per Recipe 4, chol. (mg) 66, Fat, total (g) 30, cal. (kcal) 326, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Monounsaturated fat (g) 11, carb. (g) 11, sat. fat (g) 15, pro. (g) 3, calcium (mg) 82, sugar (g) 7, Potassium (mg) 518, fiber (g) 3, Trans fatty acid (g) 1, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 26, vit. A (IU) 2288, iron (mg) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Folate (µg) 34, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, sodium (mg) 331
Click HERE for more information about the recipe.