- 4 firm ripe tomatoes
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, stems snipped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Cut tops from tomatoes; remove seeds and membranes. Place tomato shells upside down on paper towels to drain until filling.
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate, reserve drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Return 2 tablespoons of drippings to skillet.
- Cook onion in the bacon drippings until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook and stir until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, reserved crumbled bacon, and hot pepper sauce.
- Sprinkle tomato shells with salt; fill evenly with bacon and spinach mixture. Place tomatoes in prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until hot, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove, and top evenly with the shredded cheese. Return to the oven; bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Per Serving: 262 calories; 21.3 g fat; 9.7 g carbohydrates; 9.9 g protein; 43 mg cholesterol; 378 mg sodium.