- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 pounds bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth
- ¼ cup drained capers
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 cups water
- 1⅓ cups uncooked instant polenta
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup torn fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and ¼ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add flour, tomato paste, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, broth and capers. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let cool for 5 minutes. Remove bones and return the meat to the slow cooker. Stir in olives and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in polenta; cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan. Serve the chicken and sauce over the polenta, topped with basil.
448 calories; 14 g fat(4 g sat); 5 g fiber; 39 g carbohydrates; 38 g protein; 49 mcg folate; 175 mg cholesterol; 7 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,802 IU vitamin A; 70 mg vitamin C; 89 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 666 mg sodium; 708 mg potassium
Click HERE for more information about the recipe.