What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms diced
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups warmed chicken stock divided
- 4 cups butternut squash (1/2-1” pieces), peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese freshly grated
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 cup petite frozen peas thawed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Melt butter in olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven (or large oven proof heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid). Turn heat to medium high and add mushrooms and shallots. Saute for 5 minutes. Add rice and garlic and continue to cook for 3 minutes while stirring.
Add 4 1/2 cups warm chicken stock, squash, chicken bouillon, salt, oregano, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
While rice is cooking, toast pine nuts. Add pine nuts to a dry skillet and heat over medium heat. Toast until golden, watching closely so they don’t burn. Transfer to a bowl so they don’t continue to cook.
When rice is tender, remove from oven and stir in remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock, heavy cream and cheeses. Stir vigorously to break down the squash until smooth. Stir in peas and heat through.
Garnish with pine nuts, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.