What You Need:
4 lbs. ripe, meaty tomatoes
2 jars (6 oz. each) marinated artichoke hearts
½ c. best-quality olive oil
2 c. coarsely chopped yellow onion
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
¼ c. dried basil
½ tbsp. dried oregano
½ c. finely chopped Italian parsley
1 small dried red pepper, finely crushed
3 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
1 tsp. salt
¼ c. grated Romano cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop tomatoes, a few at a time, into the boiling water. Scaled for ten seconds, then with a slotted spoon transfer to a bowl of ice water. Scald all tomatoes in this fashion, then drain and slip off skins. Cut crosswise into halves, squeeze out seeds and juice, chop coarsely. Reserve.
- Drain artichokes and reserve marinade.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté onions, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, and dried red pepper over medium heat for five minutes.
- Crush the black peppercorns and add them to the onion mixture.
- Add tomatoes to the sauce, season with about 1 tsp. salt, and simmer uncovered over medium heat for 1 hour.
- Add reserved artichoke marinade and simmer, stirring often, for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in artichokes and continue to simmer until sauce is rich and thick, another 20 minutes or so. Stir in Romano cheese, taste, and adjust seasoning. Serve with your favorite pasta.