What You Need:
1 c. unsalted butter
1 c. strong brewed coffee or I tbsp. instant coffee dissolved in 1 c. hot water
¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
½ c. vegetable oil
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ c. buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 tbsp. milk
1 box (1 lb.) powdered sugar
1 c. chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease 15 ½ x10 ½ x1 in jelly roll pan.
- Stir ½ c. butter, coffee, ½ c. cocoa, and vegetable oil in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until smooth.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until blended.
- Whisk in cocoa mixture.
- Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and 1 tsp. vanilla in medium bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture and blend well.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake until tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer cake to rack.
- Meanwhile, stir in milk and remaining ½ c. butter and ¼ c. cocoa in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until smooth. Bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar and remaining 1 tsp. vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Spread frosting over warm cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Cool cake completely and serve.