What You Need:
1 tsp. plus ¾ c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 c. strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 ½ c. granulated sugar
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. cornstarch
¼ c. water
3 large eggs
4 c. bleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1 c. confectioner’s sugar
2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 10×2 in. round cake pan with 1 tsp. butter.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine ½ c. granulated sugar, strawberries, and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for three minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water. Add to the strawberry mixture and cook, stirring until it thickens. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl cream ¼ lb. of butter with the 1 c. granulated sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Into a medium bowl, sift 3 1/3 c. of flour, baking powder, baking soda, ½ tsp. cinnamon and salt.
- Add flour mixture, buttermilk, and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until everything is incorporated.
- In another bowl, combine 1/4 c. butter, ½ c. flour, the brown sugar, ¼ tsp. cinnamon. Using your hands, combine until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan. Spread the strawberry mixture over the batter. Dropping heaping spoonfuls of the remaining batter over the mixture, about 1 in. apart. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the surface.
- Put the cake pan on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
In a bowl, whisk together confectioner’s sugar, cane syrup, and milk until smooth. Drizzle