What You Need:
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 ½ tsp. finely grated lemon peel
1 ¼ cups self-rising flour
5 medium nectarines (about 1 ¾ lbs.) halved, and cut into quarters
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Generously butter a 9 in. springform pan.
- Beat ½ cup butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add ¾ cup sugar and beat until blended.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then add lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Beat in flour until smooth.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Arrange enough nectarine slices atop batter in concentric circles to cover completely. Press lightly into place.
- Mix cinnamon and remaining 3 tbsp. sugar in a small box. Sprinkle over cake.
- Bake for one hour, or until cake is golden brown and done all the way through.
- Cut around cake to loosen. Remove pan sides.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.