What You Need:
1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
5 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp. dried basil
2 cans (28 oz. each) whole Italian-style tomatoes in puree
2 cans (49 oz. each) low-sodium chicken broth
2 c. heavy whipping cream
Fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp. lightly packed fresh basil leaves, cut into fine ribbons
- In a 6 to 8 qt. saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the carrots, onion, and dried basil and sauté, stirring occasionally until softened, about ten to twelve minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, including the puree, and the broth, and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Remove from heat.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Return the pureed soup to the saucepan, add the cream, and place over medium heat.
- Warm until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the basil and serve immediately.