What You Need:
2 c. sugar
1 c. whole milk
2 (5 oz.) cans evaporated milk
5 large eggs
¼ tsp. salt
1 (15 oz.) can solid-pack pumpkin
2 tbsp. premium gold tequila or bourbon
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground allspice
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heart a 2-quart soufflé dish or round ceramic casserole dish in middle of oven.
- Cook 1 c. sugar in a dry 2-qt. heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring slowly with a fork until melted and pale golden brown.
- Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden brown, about five minutes.
- Quickly and carefully remove hot dish from oven and immediately pour caramel into dish, tilting it to cover bottom and sides. Keep tilting as caramel cools and thickens enough to stay in place.
- Scald whole milk with evaporated milk in a saucepan and remove from heat.
- Beat eggs and remaining cup of sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in salt, pumpkin, tequila, and spices.
- Pour mixture through a sieve into a bowl and beat pumpkin mixture until well combined.
- Pour custard over caramel in dish and set in a water bath of 1 in. hot water. Put pan in middle of oven and lower temperature to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown on top and knife comes out clean.
- Remove dish from water bath and transfer to a rack to cool. Chill flan, covered, at least six hour or until cold.