3 Easy Ways to Save More on Energy Bills
1. Replace the caulking and seals on your door and windows.
– Not only does this prevent drafts and unwelcome outside critters, it also reduces your energy uses because it doesn’t allow your hot (or cold) air to escape.
2. Wash your clothes in cold water.
– Unless your clothes are very dirty, washing in cold water should be just fine. Swap out for a cold-water detergent to maximize cleaning power. The majority of the cost to run the washer, is the energy needed to heat the water. Plus, washing your clothes in cold water extends their life. Even lowering the temperature to warm, rather than hot, can make a difference.
3. Lower the temperature on your water heater
– A ten degree reduction can save you up to 5% of your energy costs. 120 degrees F is more than sufficient for most household tasks.
Bonus: If you reduce your energy usage between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Reduce Your Use days from SDGE, you will receive a credit on your bill. Visit the program page for more information.